Wait a minute, wait a minute. Where does Lucasarts fit into the whole Disney acquisition?
All we’ve heard so far is that the process won’t affect Star Wars 1313, but a whole lot of other gaming possibilities now present themselves. For starters, I just hope it means Lucasarts will actually start, y’know, producing some games for a change.
A while ago I asked myself what the problem was with Star Wars games during this console generation. They were okay back in the classic arcade and 16-bit days, and actually great during the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 eras. The problem today? They haven’t made nearly as many on the PS3 and Xbox 360.
Literally the only current gen games Lucasarts has published are the Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones games, Kinect Star Wars, and the Force Unleashed games. Oh, and Fracture if anyone remembers that. Yeah yeah Old Republic but how is that doing?
Compare that to the days when we were getting Rogue Squadron, Republic Commando, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Jedi Knight, Knights of the Old Republic, Battlefront, and so-on. Star Wars used to be a reliable brand for great games of many genres on just about every platform. That’s not even counting the old days when Lucasarts used to make the likes of Grim Fandango and Full Throttle. What happened?
Over the years I skimmed through stories about how many people constantly left the company, complained about cancelled projects, etc. From my end it felt as if they just don’t want to be successful anymore. I just hope Disney management might actually want to do something with the company or at least its properties.
They never stopped Marvel properties from appearing in good games from various publishers. The absence of Kingdom Hearts is totally on Square Enix. On that subject, now that we’ve got Marvel and Star Wars under one roof the crossover ideas have already flooded in. Capcom is on a crossover streak as of late. Are they listening?
I’m just saying, something needs to change on the gaming side of the Lucas properties, and maybe Disney can facilitate that change since they haven’t been too bad with gaming.
- Crysis 3 alpha is up for PC users. I don’t really care about Crysis 3 multiplayer, I just wanna benchmark the game and see if my old Q6600 processor is still up to the task.
- This week Catherine is on sale on PlayStation Network for $20.
- With Grand Theft Auto V’s release date, I now have a time limit for finishing GTAIV.
- Nice interview with the guy behind Punch Quest: http://t.co/nlbmnS43
- Looks like I’m gonna spend this month dodging Assassin’s Creed 3 spoilers until the PC version comes out on the 20th.
- Super Punch Out is 150 coins on Club Nintendo.